1. Make it as authentic as possible. writing letters to editors, making a historical board game.
2. Students lead. - Introduce the project and then ask the students to come up with the need to knows and next steps. Make it as clear as possible why a student is doing an assignment.
3. Let them Struggle.- Struggle with how to solve a problem, not on what to do next.
4. Accountability in Group Work. - Everyone has a role and tasks. Groups can fire a student and that student has to then do the project on their own.
5. Finish the project. - A celebration of the finished project will help set up the students for the next project.